Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March 4 - The Mourning Gondola

It's amazing how directly kids can transform their real life impressions (both positive and traumatic) into their games. And these games sometimes are as far from being naive and simplistic as our own adult dreams. Today, I took a day off to stay at home with Olga (she caught cold) and we were taking it very easy talking to each other a bit, doing our own things. I was checking some mails (fixing my coming trips) and put on Arvo Pärt's "Best of". This music, though quiet, at times can stream some extremely powerful subversive undercurrents that you have to learn to handle. A thought just flicked in mind that maybe it was a bit too much for Olga. But, after all, she could ask me to change (as she normally does if the music doesn't suit her).

Half an hour later the music was still on and I noticed that Olga was building some strange structures on our floor carpet. "What is it Olga?" "It is a funeral. Your music is about mourning." I was completely taken aback. While I was immersing myself into typing emails and checking hotel reservations, she built two boats ("gondolas" - I thought to myself) - one for her Barbie-doll, another for Barbie's dog (the smaller one in front). On boats' decks she carefully and solemnly arranged their favourite belongings. She was the one listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment